Red Hill Baptist Church

The earliest records of the history of Red Hill Baptist Church go back to 1860.  A small band of Christians, under the guidance of Rocky River Baptist Church, began meeting in the Red Hill School House.  Written records began in 1861 and indicate that Uriah Staton was the founder of the church, and A. E. Bennett was the first preacher.

The original church was built in 1873 and it took the name "Red Hill" from the red soil upon which it was built.  It served the congregation until the current brick structure was built in 1946.

Red Hill's Cemetery is located directly across the street from the church.  The oldest grave in the cemetery dates from 1873 and belongs to John McLendon.

For More on the History of Red Hill Baptist Church see the book Peace and Harmony:  A History of Red Hill Baptist Church 1865-1990.





Red Hill Baptist Church • Polkton, NC • 704-826-6263  © 2017